When hiring a law firm, there’s a lot to look for. You develop a relationship with your lawyer and law firm over time. There’s a lot of personal information and financial disclosure involved in many cases.
You’re essentially entering a partnership with the firm. So it’s important to find the right one. If you’re looking for a Kansas City law firm, then there are a few things you’ll want to pay close attention to.
So here are some items to take note of when hiring a Kansas City law firm:
- Experience: Hiring a Kansas City law firm with experience is essential. There’s a reason it’s first on out list. You need to look for a lawyer who specializes in whatever type of case you have. For example, if you’ve experienced sexual assault, then a sexual harassment attorney with experience should handle your case.
- Communication Skills: You need to work with a lawyer who understands you. You need to feel comfortable being open and honest about the situation with this person. As well, you need a law firm that can explain things to you in layman’s terms – not legalese.
- Understands You: Following up on the communication skills, you need a law firm that understands your needs. For example, if you want to handle things out of court, but your law firm specializes in suing companies and individuals for all they’re worth, then there may be a lack of understanding on both sides.
- Available and returns calls: Your case needs to be handled in a timely matter. If your preferred attorney isn’t available often, then finding another Kansas City law firm may be a good idea. You need conferences to happen at your convenience, and emergency phone calls need to be returned promptly.
- References: Any great Kansas City law firm will have a lot of references. Ask for these before you choose the perfect lawyer for you. The best case scenario is to find references for the firm of your choice involving cases similar to yours.
- Chemistry is Key: The right type of chemistry with your lawyer will lead to better results than you’d ever imagine. A little bit of chemistry can really turn things around and ensure better results from your case.
- Consider Costs: This is a big one. Every law firm charges different rates and some even bill differently. You should shop around before committing to any lawyer. You’ll always pay for a lawyer’s reputation and experience, but how much prestige a firm has will also weigh into the costs. You should consider if the firm handles matters on a contingency fee basis or charges by the hour. You should also ask if you will be responsible for reimbursing the law firm for their costs in pursuing your case should you lose.
What to Look For in a Kansas City Law Firm?
There are a lot of factors to look for when selecting a law firm. These certainly aren’t all of them. The above will just give you an idea of what to look for. Lawyers can be expensive, and a little research can go a long way in getting a solid ROI on your legal fees.